Things to do in Santana. Santana is a municipality on the North Coast of Madeira Island and comprises six parishes: São Roque do Faial, Faial, Santana, Ilha, São Jorge and Arco de São Jorge.
It is an incredible place with several tourist attractions for those who enjoy hiking and outdoor activities. Pico Ruivo, Rocha do Navio Nature Reserve, Levada do Rei, and Caldeirão Verde are a few. However, if you prefer to take a break from physical activity, you can enjoy a visit to the typical Madeiran houses.
It is about the typical houses of Santana and other beautiful places to visit in the area that we are going to talk about in this blog post.
Best Things to Do in Santana
See the Typical Houses of Santana
The typical houses of Santana are triangular-shaped constructions, covered with thatch, which you can visit in the town of Santana, that is, on the north coast of Madeira.
Even there are few typical houses to see we think that the place is worth visiting.
The houses are open for visitors to enter and you can explore a tourist office and a shop with traditional products.
In addition, there is a small garden with benches if you want to take a short break.
What to do in Santana Madeira
Santana is a great place to go hiking and enjoy nature, so we have some suggestions for activities to do in Santana.
- Watch the sunrise on Pico Ruivo;
- Admire the view from the Balcões Viewpoint;
- Have a picnic in the Parque Florestal das Queimadas;
- Dive in the Caldeirão Verde lake, or see the magnificent Caldeirão Verde waterfall;
- Take the cable car down to the Rocha do Navio Nature Reserve;
- Walk along the Levada do Rei, one of the most famous Levadas in Madeira.
Accommodation in Santana Madeira
We stayed at Quinta da Saraiva, a rural boutique hotel with vine and banana plantations located 40 km from Santana.
In any case, there are several types of accommodation in Madeira, so for alternative places to sleep in the Santana area, see below.
Blog posts related to Things to do in Santana
Finally, are you thinking of visiting the island of Madeira? So, in that case, we take the liberty of suggesting that you read the following articles:
- Traveling to Madeira during the pandemic: cautions
- Quinta da Saraiva: accommodation tip in Madeira
- Cabo Girão skywalk over the highest Promontory in Europe
- Curral das Freiras: visit the central massif of Madeira and the best viewpoints
- Câmara de Lobos Things to do and see: the bay, the islet, the Churchill statue, and more!
- Ribeira Brava: making Madeira poncha in Serra D’Água
- Paul da Serra: visit the Biggest plateau in Madeira
- Madeira Natural Park: visit unique ecosystems in the world
- Madeira Laurissilva Forest: UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Porto Moniz: things to see and do on the North Coast of Madeira Island
- Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal: exotic passion fruit in Madeira
- Funchal Madeira: what to see, do, and tips for your itinerary
- Ponta de São Lourenço: PR8, boat and lunch at Cais do Sardinha
- Machico Madeira: Whale Museum, Pico do Facho Viewpoint, and more
- Santana Madeira: see typical Madeiran houses
- Madeira Airport (FNC)
Would you like to visit Portugal? We want to travel as a family, regularly, with some comfort and without going broke! We also organize trips, so check out some travel deals and promotions on Facebook, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram.