The Mercado dos Lavradores, or Farmers’ Market, is located in the city of Funchal.
This Farmer’s Market is known for its exotic fruits and beautiful flowers.
Thus, in this blog post, you can have a generic description of the Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal, which stands there are, the main types of fruit you can taste and opening hours.
So, will you join us on this journey through Madeiran flavors?
The Farmers’ Market
The Mercado dos Lavradores is located in the center of Funchal. It was inaugurated on November 24, 1940, to make this space the largest supply market in the region.
In recent years, more tourists than locals have frequented these aisles.
Exotic fruits, such as silver banana, pineapple banana, passion fruit, custard apple, pitaya, are tourist attractions.
You must go to the farmers’ market to see Ladies dressed in typical Madeiran costumes.
There are fruit stands on both floors of the market.
The prices of fruit in general, and passion fruit in particular, are high.
From what we understand, the most popular fruit in Mercado dos Lavradores is the passion fruit.
Finally, take the opportunity to admire the tile panels designed by João Rodrigues that decorate the walls of the building.
Don’t forget to explore the area with flowers and typical products such as honey cake and the famous Poncha.
Farmers’ Market Opening Hours
The Mercado dos Lavradores is open from Monday to Thursday between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm, on Fridays between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, and on Saturdays between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm. On Sundays and holidays, the Mercado dos Lavradores is closed.
Finally, are you thinking of visiting the island of Madeira? So, in that case, we take the liberty of suggesting that you read the following articles:
- Traveling to Madeira during the pandemic: cautions
- Quinta da Saraiva: accommodation tip in Madeira
- Cabo Girão skywalk over the highest Promontory in Europe
- Curral das Freiras: visit the central massif of Madeira and the best viewpoints
- Câmara de Lobos Things to do and see: the bay, the islet, the Churchill statue, and more!
- Ribeira Brava: making Madeira poncha in Serra D’Água
- Paul da Serra: visit the Biggest plateau in Madeira
- Madeira Natural Park: visit unique ecosystems in the world
- Madeira Laurissilva Forest: UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Porto Moniz: things to see and do on the North Coast of Madeira Island
- Farmers’ Market in Funchal: Exploring Mercado dos Lavradores
- Funchal Travel Guide: Best Things to See and Do in Madeira 2022
- Ponta de São Lourenço Trail: PR8, boat and lunch at Cais do Sardinha
- Machico Madeira: Whale Museum, Pico do Facho Viewpoint, and more
- Santana Madeira: see typical Madeiran houses
- Madeira Airport (FNC)
Would you like to visit Portugal? We want to travel as a family, regularly, with some comfort and without going broke! We also organize trips, so check out some travel deals and promotions on Facebook, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram.