Last Updated on 2023-03-12
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park is a protected area in Serra da Tronqueira, that is, in the parish of Achada (Northeast municipality), in São Miguel, Azores.
It is part of the Pico da Vara and Ribeira do Guilherme Special Protection Zone and is a lovely place for families.
Suggestions of what to see and do in this region of São Miguel below!
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park (Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões)
Count on seeing a green park with waterfalls and many places to photograph.
Hydrangeas, cryptomerias, and tree ferns dominate the landscape, but it is possible to see species from the native Laurissilva forest, such as Ginjeira-do-mato, and Faia-da-terra, just to mention a few.
The waterfall of Ribeira dos Caldeirões
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões waterfall is a waterfall in the heart of the Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park.
It is impossible to remain indifferent to such a spectacle of nature!
Go up the hill to see the waterfall up close and continue along the trail to explore the surrounding forest.
Ribeira dos Caldeirões Picnic Park
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões picnic area has tables, a barbecue area, and supports bathrooms.
All you need to do is bring a picnic and a good mood, but if you need to buy snacks and drinks, stop by the park’s cafeteria!
Craft shops and coffee shops
The old millers’ houses have been converted into craft shops, and right next door is a cafeteria if you want to buy something to eat or drink.
Fortunately, these houses have kept their original design and are located right at the beginning of the park, so they are easy to see.
The water mill
Of the five water mills in the natural park, only one is in operation and has a full-time miller.
It is possible to see the inside of the mill and watch how the corn turns into flour.
To get to the water mill, at the entrance to the park, go left towards the lake and continue along the water channel until you reach the mill.
The lake of Ribeira dos Caldeirões
Although not my favorite place in the park, the Ribeira dos Caldeirões lake is very popular with visitors.
There is a small water fountain in the center and the birds go there to drink.
The viewpoint of Ribeira dos Caldeirões
The Ribeira dos Caldeirões Viewpoint is on the Regional Road, just a few meters from the park entrance.
You can choose to go to the viewpoint before visiting the park or leave it for the end before leaving.
What to do in the Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park
- Discover the Ribeira do Guilherme Botanical Garden:
- Take a meal and have a picnic at one of the park’s tables;
- Wear suitable walking shoes and explore the trails that pass through the park, such as the Ribeira dos Caldeirões Trail (5 km);
- Check out the souvenir shops before you leave.
Accommodation near the Ribeira dos Caldeirões Natural Park
Tradicampo has several accommodation units in Algarvia, so it is the right choice for those who want to enjoy the part of São Miguel with less human intervention.
We stayed in a T2 at Quinta das Cycas and recommended it.
In addition to a kitchen with a stocked pantry, private patio, and barbecue, you can enjoy a swimming pool and bicycles for the whole family.
How to get to Ribeira dos Caldeirões Azores
Ribeira dos Caldeirões is located in the parish of Achada in the northeast of the island of São Miguel – Azores.
Leaving Ponta Delgada you can take the EN1-1A or the EN1-1A and EN1-1A, and the journey takes between 40-50 minutes.
As we stayed at Quinta das Cycas da Tradicampo, it only took five minutes to get to the park.
Final travel tips about Ribeira dos Caldeirões
The entrance to the natural park is free, and there is also a car park to leave your car a few meters away.
The main points of interest are at the entrance to the park, but if you have time, I suggest exploring the surrounding forest.
You May Also Like:
- São Miguel Azores: everything you need to know to visit the green island!
- Tradicampo Eco-Country Houses accommodation in São Miguel Azores
- Best things to see and do in Ponta Delgada 2022 (São Miguel – Azores)
- Ponta da Ferraria free thermal baths in São Miguel Azores
- Discover Lagoa das Sete Cidades Azores: What to See and Do in 2022
- Best things to do in Ribeira Grande Azores (in 2022)
- Ilhéu de Vila Franca Azores & other places to visit in Vila Franca
- Best Things to Do in Lagoa das Furnas in 2022: unique experiences
- Best things to see in Ribeira dos Caldeirões Azores Natural Park in 2022
- The Ultimate Secret of the Azorean Laurissilva Forest: the Priolo
- João Paulo II Airport Ponta Delgada (Azores) All you need to know
Going to Portugal? We are a Portuguese Family traveling around the world and sharing our journey and experiences at passaportenobolso.com. Here you can find plenty of family budget travel tips as well as practical information about numerous destinations in Europe, Africa, Asia and America. We have visited 30+ countries and we don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. Follow our adventures on Instagram / Facebook / YouTube / Pinterest / Twitter.