Last Updated on 2023-01-23
Funchal Travel Guide: Best things to do and see in Madeira in 2023. Funchal is the largest city on Madeira Island, the usual starting point for those who arrive at Madeira Airport and where many tourists stay.
It is a lively area with bars and restaurants for those who enjoy the nightlife, but it also offers small oases of tranquility.
The historic area has a magnificent architecture with beautiful streets.
Funchal Travel Guide: what to see in Funchal Madeira
Street Art: Rua das Portas Pintadas
The Rua de Portas Aberta project began in 2010 at Rua da Carreira, that is, in the old town of Funchal, to revitalize the area.
Generically, local artists started to paint the doors, decorating them with typical themes and beyond. Over time, the initiative expanded to other streets, and now it’s an open-air art gallery.
The streets with painted doors are beautiful, and you never quite know what to expect on the next corner.
The Farmers’ Market: Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal
The Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal is an institution in the city.
It is famous for its exotic fruit stands, such as different types of passion fruit, and for the ladies who dress in traditional costumes.
The Historic Center of Funchal Madeira
Funchal’s historic center is perfect for walks, restaurants, and shopping.
There are many choices, so the best thing is to let yourself go and explore the area calmly.
Just add some local gems to your itineraries, such as the Cathedral of Funchal, the Quinta das Cruzes Museum, the Fort of São Tiago, the Bank of Portugal, and the Parque de Santa Catarina.
If you like football, you cannot miss the opportunity to visit the museum dedicated to the Portuguese footballer, born in Madeira, Cristiano Ronaldo.
You can find the CR7 Museum near Funchal Marina, right next door is the Pestana CR7 Hotel, and if you need to park your rental car, you can do so in the car park next to the museum.
The Botanical Garden of Madeira
The Madeira Botanical Garden is a must-see if you want to learn more about the endemic flower species of Madeira Island.
You can visit the greenhouses, the Natural History Museum, and a park with birds, so reserve a morning or an afternoon to explore the Madeira Botanical Garden.
Funchal Travel Guide: What to do in Funchal
Here are some suggestions for activities to be carried out in Funchal, but if you have several days to dedicate to the city, we are sure you will find other recommendations.
- take the cable car up to Monte but get off in the traditional trolleys;
- taste different types of passion fruit in the Mercado dos Lavradores that is, in the historic center;
- walk along the renovated Avenida do Mar with a privileged view of the Atlantic Ocean;
- drinking Poncha, for example, in cafes in the historic center;
Accommodation in Funchal
We stayed about nine kilometers from Funchal at Quinta da Saraiva, and we recommend it.
It is a rural tourism area with banana trees and vines and an ideal swimming pool for watching the sunset over the Bay of Câmara de Lobos.
However, if you want to stay in a hotel in Funchal, you can see some suggestions below:
Blog posts related to Funchal Travel Guide
Finally, are you thinking of visiting the island of Madeira? So, in that case, we take the liberty of suggesting that you read the following articles:
- Traveling to Madeira during the pandemic: cautions
- Quinta da Saraiva: accommodation tip in Madeira
- Cabo Girão skywalk over the highest Promontory in Europe
- Curral das Freiras: visit the central massif of Madeira and the best viewpoints
- Câmara de Lobos Things to do and see: the bay, the islet, the Churchill statue, and more!
- Ribeira Brava: making Madeira poncha in Serra D’Água
- Paul da Serra: visit the Biggest plateau in Madeira
- Madeira Natural Park: visit unique ecosystems in the world
- Madeira Laurissilva Forest: UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Porto Moniz: things to see and do on the North Coast of Madeira Island
- Mercado dos Lavradores in Funchal: exotic passion fruit in Madeira
- Funchal Travel Guide: Best Things to See and Do in Madeira 2022
- Ponta de São Lourenço Trail: PR8, boat and lunch at Cais do Sardinha
- Machico Madeira: Whale Museum, Pico do Facho Viewpoint, and more
- Santana Madeira: see typical Madeiran houses
- Madeira Airport (FNC)
Would you like to visit Portugal? We want to travel as a family, regularly, with some comfort and without going broke! We also organize trips, so check out some travel deals and promotions on Facebook, and don’t forget to follow us on Instagram.